The Bedell Law Office provides personalized and professional legal services in the following areas:
We work with clients to craft an estate plan based on their individual needs. We listen and present options to protect your assets, care for your family, and fulfill your last wishes. We also create a plan that will protect you and your family during your lifetime, such as in the event of future incapacity.
With estate planning, every individual and family has different needs, desires, and expectations. Therefore, we provide individually tailored estate planning documents that express your specific wishes, as well as provide for asset protection and tax savings.
Our estate planning services include:
- Revocable Living Trusts: These have become prevalent in California because they hold property during your lifetime and avoid probate upon your death. Your property is distributed at your death to your beneficiaries, in accordance with your wishes as set forth in your trust.
- Irrevocable Trusts: A trust whose terms cannot be changed after it is executed. These trusts are usually part of an estate planning strategy to avoid gift, estate or generation-skipping transfer tax, protect assets, or prevent creditors from taking assets from the beneficiaries.
- Wills: Legal documents that provide who will receive a person’s property at death. The will nominates an Executor to handle the process of settling all obligations of the deceased and distributing the deceased’s estate.
- Durable Powers of Attorney for Financial Matters: A legal document that grants a person the authority to take care of your financial and legal matters if you are unable to take care of such matters yourself.
- Advance Health Care Directives: Sometimes referred to as a Living Will or previously referred to in California as a Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care, this legal document expresses what medical treatment you wish to receive and designates a person to make medical and end-of-life decisions according to your instructions.
For further information regarding the advantages of estate planning, see our frequently asked questions page.
We assist trustees with the proper management of a trust and in fulfilling their obligations to the beneficiaries of the trust.
Trust & Probate Litigation
We provide legal representation in disputes involving trusts and estates, including prosecuting and defending will or trust contests, allegations of a breach of fiduciary duty, trust termination and modification proceedings, and disputes concerning property rights.
Asset Protection and Tax Planning
In today’s highly litigious society our clients are increasingly concerned with protecting their assets in the event of future litigation. We assist our clients in asset protection planning to protect their estate from creditors and judgments.
Tax planning is an inherent part of any estate plan. We counsel our clients to avoid unnecessary taxes both during their lifetime and after. For further information regarding tax planning, please see our frequently asked questions page.
Seek Representation from an Experienced California Estate Planning Lawyer
Estate planning matters are complex and require the assistance of an experienced estate planning attorney. For personalized and professional estate planning assistance in the Sacramento area and throughout Northern California, contact the Bedell Law Office.